Besides doing regular maintenance and repairing your home, you might want to consider renovating or making improvements. These changes will not only make the home more pleasant for you to live in, they may also increase its value.
How Much is Just Right
If you plan to stay in the home for a long time, then it is good to do everything you can think of in terms of renovating. If you are planning on selling the home, make sure that the changes do not make your home worth a lot more than the other homes around you. The value of your home is closely related to the value of the other homes in your area.
Over time, some renovations can pay for themselves especially if they result in lower energy bills, higher resale value or greater enjoyment in the home.
Some Things to Keep in Mind
Here are some points you want to consider when planning for renovations;
- Ask yourself, “How appealing will this change be to someone buying the home?” Someone buying your home can make personalized changes easily and inexpensively with paint. Flooring, cabinets and counter tops have a longer life – make choices that will appeal to others.
- Think about getting your home energy-rated. Visit Natural Resources Canada at www.oee.nrcan.gc.ca to find information on current energy programs.
- Updated the bathrooms and kitchen in an older home can increase its resale value. Changing the flooring, if needed, can also make a good return on your investment.
- Landscaping is super important. The curb appeal created by the right planting can improve the appearance and value of the home. Garden centers and landscaping companies are a good start to get ideas and speak with a professional.
- Updating the exterior paint, installing a new roof, resurfacing the sidewalks and driveway, adding an attractive mailbox, and installing a new front door can make your home more appealing.
These are just a few ideas for you to consider if you are thinking of selling your home. Getting the most from the sale of your home is contingent on you presenting the home in the most appealing way.
If you have any questions or comments, call me to discuss at 250.884.3980
Post Your Comment: